Friday, January 28, 2011

A New Year Plan

The first month of the New Year is almost over so I thought I’d take stock of what I’ve done so far to get closer to the realization of my dreams and aspirations.

Since reaching and surpassing my 50th birthday ( I am now 52), I have determined to partake of my own brand of extreme makeover, and in the process, I've set some major goals for myself.  Instead of proclaiming the normal “resolutions” for the New Year, I’ve decided that reaching my goals should be more of a lifestyle change as well as a life-long endeavor.  So, my quest to better myself is as follows:

Get closer to God through an increase in prayer and studying His Word.                    
I need what the old saints refer to as a Refreshing.  Life sort of beat me down in 2010, I went through some things that I NEVER thought would happen to me. Yet, through the Grace of God, I survived. I'm reminded that in 2011, strengthening my relationship with the Father is essential for every other phase of my success.  Unfortunately, life and the process of living it can get in the way, pushing back what's most important.
           
Recognizing that God is my source of peace, love, financial stability, creativity, and everything else that keeps me afloat prevents me from giving up. My relationship with Jesus is what helps me through the daily bombardment of issues, worldly as well as personal that tend to overwhelm the soul.  I'm glad to know that everything that concerns me, concerns Him, and that He has instructed me through His Word to cast my cares upon Him because He cares for me. 

Get my writing career in gear.
As an employee of my city's Board of Education, I usually have summers off (Hallelujah)!  This leaves plenty of time to work on my own projects (I've been asked but rarely work summer school).  Now, what has happened over the years is that I've done NOTHING, made NO PREPARATIONS, and I end up struggling for 2 months to make ends meet.  Well, I’m working to change all of that this year.  If necessary, I’ll bite the bullet and work summer school, but my original plan, with the help of the Lord, is to write, write, write, and self-publish more of my work.  I also am looking to enter a few contests and get my feet wet by having others critique my work (OUCH!)  

I’ve come to realize that I absolutely must do a little each day toward marketing my work, developing a major internet presence, and getting myself in the public arena.  It is my goal to match and then exceed my salaried income.  The public school system I work for is undergoing some serious changes, and not for the better of its support staff. Lay-offs are many and are becoming more frequent.  It is painfully evident that I cannot (nay, I will not) be at the mercy of my employer any longer.  Yet, establishing myself as a creative force takes time, so I figure I'd better get started now. 

Losing weight.
Okay, I know.  This is just about everyone's New Years Resolution. However, I started before the end of the year due to health reasons.  My doctor diagnosed me with a lot of nasty stuff, and I simply refuse to go out that way!  I am currently on meds but I don’t intend for this to be a permanent situation.  The weight must come off.  I've set goals of how much weight I want to lose and I am determined to move around a lot more. 

Well, here's my plan for the year.  Have you moved closer to your dreams?
                 
Harlem Renaissance Time

Had I been a part
of that
Harlem Renaissance…
the creations of colorful
people of
COLOR
in this joint
that joint
and the other,
perhaps…
I would’ve run
into Langston Hughes,
who I guarantee you
would’ve surely
been my Lover.

We’d listen to
Songbirds chime,
drink literary wine,
in this
Harlem Renaissance time,
when Langston Hughes
would’ve surely
been my Lover.



2 comments:

  1. I like how you repeat the last line. It reads well the whole verse and there's so much story there. I felt it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In your fifties, you have an instict
    about it being your turn to live life
    the way you want and not what everyone else wants for you.
    In your fifties that part comes easier.
    Having shed skins of childish youth
    to now live more your own life.
    It is this you have evolved to.
    Writing, not that you haven't been doing that before, but the writing seems to take on another place now in your fifties.
    In your fifties you do truely just begin living....
    Fears that have been most of youth, and although fear likes to clinker about from time to time, it has no real hold like it did before.

    I think you know you will do just fine writing now in your fifties.

    I enjoyed reading your words, you inspire.

    ReplyDelete