Saturday, January 22, 2011

Inside My Head

This is hard.  I'm thinking constantly about this novel that I'm supposed to be writing, and though I've done research for it and written a semi-story synopsis, I still can't get this thing down on paper (or on my hard drive as the case may be).  I hear dialogue in my head, I hear narrative in my head, I see my character and the villains she is to encounter.  I can hear it, see it, why can't I write it?

The process of waiting for your muse to kick in is a very painful one for me.  I get excited about the story idea, and I even make a few notes.  But when it comes time for the rubber to meet the road, I can't seem to focus enough to sit down and write.  So how do you keep the idea alive.  How do you keep the story from dying and becoming a faint memory of yet another  project placed on the dusty shelf of your mind?

First, I pray.  Then I pray some more.  Then I read.  And then I read some more.  Then, I talk about it.  I talk about my idea as much as possible.  I talk to myself, and anyone else who'll listen.  I don't give away everything because I don't know everything, yet. Still, talking is how I keep the dream alive.  Since there's still nothing tangible, I'll say something like, "I'm writing a book.  It's in the development stages," meaning I haven't written anything yet, but I'm rolling it around in my brain.   This is how I eventually get the idea unstuck.

So I'll keep praying, reading, and talking until I get to the most important step, which is writing.

One Woman’s Legacy

doings    speakings
emotions      thinkings
ideas       ideals
images        impressions
that rip and run and scream and shout
awakening the consciousness of
future people…

blazing     engraving
in their hearts  on their minds
wishes     dreams
concepts schemes
that intrigue and insight revolution and evolution
reawakening the consciousness of
future people.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting poem.... the consciousness of future people, I like.

    Your novel--It will come!

    Try writing down just one line only. Anything, it doesn't matter if later you cut it out and rearrange it.

    ReplyDelete