Friday, December 31, 2010

Change is Good for the Coming New Year

I've changed the name of my writer's blog.  Recently I found that there is another writer's blog called The Urban Muse that is much more popular than mine, so in order to cut down on any confusion, I changed my blog's name to The Urban Musings of an Old Newbie.  And in fact, this name is more indicative of what this blog is about.

As I said in my opening post, I have been writing since I was 8 years old.  But now, in my 50's, I've decided to actively pursue that which I've been praying for.  This morning as I lay in my bed, listening to my religious programming, I heard an evangelist say that if we want change, we have to do something towards achieving that change.  Sometimes, it's not enough to just pray.  Sometimes, while we're waiting on God to change things for the better in our lives, He's actually waiting on us to change the way we conduct our lives in order to make room for the blessings He wants to give us.

So, in this coming new year, I vow to make some key changes in how I go about furthering my writing career.  Basically, I vow to write.  Cut back on the research, the study, the reading about writing, and just write.  For many years, Procrastination has been a very close acquaintance of mine, actually I allowed her to move in and set up house.  Well, it's time for her to vacate the premises.  So, I'm giving my old roommate a swift kick in the wheelchair out the door.  I'm learning to walk again,  to walk towards my destiny.  I'm learning to move myself out of my self-imposed stupor and I'm throwing Procrastination's twin sister, Fear, out the window as well.

Along with a new year comes anticipation coupled with trepidation.  Fear of the unknown is universal, but I think it's particularly detrimental to creative people.  We are constantly questioning ourselves: will they like what I write? Will it sell (which should never be a question for a serious writer)?  Will I be rejected (notice I said "will I," not "will my writing...")?  These questions are bound to concern us.  What we as writers must learn to do is to write in spite of wrestling with these doubts.  Write, even if you don't feel like it.  Don't worry about word count, just write something.

In 2011, I promise to invoke change, to do something daily that will inch me ever closer to the realization of my dream.  Most importantly, as a writer, I promise to write.

No comments:

Post a Comment